Rundell & Bridge Gilt Sterling Silver 4 Open Salt Cellars from 1821 by Royal Goldsmiths Sold at Sotheby's
Set of 4 tub-shaped open salts crested with lions on each side and with gilt interiors by Philip Rundell for Rundell, Bridge and Rundell, made in 1821. Measuring 3 1/3'' in length by 2 1/2'' in width by 1 1/2'' in height, weighing 11.7 ozt, and bearing hallmarks as shown.
Rundell & Bridge were a London firm of jewellers and goldsmiths formed by Philip Rundell (1746–1827) and John Bridge (1755–1834). When Edmond Rundell, nephew of Philip Rundell, was admitted as a partner in 1804, the firm's name changed to Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. The firm was appointed as one of the goldsmiths and jewellers to the king in 1797 and Principal Royal Goldsmiths & Jewellers in 1804, and the firm held the Royal Warrant until 1843. The Royal Goldsmiths served four monarchs: George III, George IV, William IV and Victoria. In addition, their name was attributed to the 'Rundell tiara', made for Princess Alexandra in 1863. In 1830, the firm created the Irish Crown Jewels from 394 precious stones taken from the English Crown Jewels.
Sold with Sotheby's sale labels from 2006. This jug was sold as part of a larger lot for $7,200.
Please feel free to e-mail us with any questions, and please see our other listings. We hand polish all items before shipping them out, but if there is interest for a professional polishing and/or engraving removal, we can take care of that for an additional charge and with delayed shipping.