Leuchars English 1889 Pair of 3-Light Sterling Silver Candelabra in Rococo Style
Pair of finely chased, 3-light English sterling silver candelabra by William Leuchars from 1889 with removable bobeches in ornate Rococo style with floral motifs and stylized, curvilinear designs. Each measures 11 1/2'' in height by 9 1/2'' in width by 5 1/4'' in depth (diameter of the base), is weighted, and bears hallmarks (including French imports marks for Leuchars Paris) as shown. This pair of candelabra comes from the Pawling estate of a former curator and Chairman of the Department of Medieval Art and The Cloisters at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Leuchars was established in 1794 by James Leuchars. In 1837, the same year as Queen Victoria came to the throne, the firm was awarded the Royal Warrant for their supply of dressing cases to the royal family. Leuchars exhibited and won prize medals for its dressing cases at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the International Exhibition of 1862, winning a further silver medal at the International Exposition of 1867 in Paris.
In 1870, under the name of Leuchars & Son, William Leuchars opened a further shop at 2 Rue de la Paix in Paris. When William Sr died in 1871, William Jr took control of the business, later winning a gold medal for their dressing cases at the International Exposition of 1878 in Paris. William Jr finally agreed to sell the business, along with their Sherwood Street manufactory, to Asprey in 1888. Leuchars continued to trade from their 38 & 39 Piccadilly address until 1902.
Please feel free to e-mail us with any questions, and please see our other listings. We hand polish all items before shipping them out, but if there is interest for a professional polishing and/or engraving removal, we can take care of that for an additional charge and with delayed shipping.