Bailey & Co. Sterling Silver Salver/ Raised Dish from 1850s
Bailey & Co., sterling silver salver or dish standing on 4 legs, from the early 1850s, with delicate, engraved motifs adorning the dish. It measures 14'' in length by 10 1/2'' in width by 1 1/8'' in height, weighs 29.9 troy ounces, and bears hallmarks and engraved inscriptions as shown.
Bailey & Kitchen, as it was originally known, was founded in Philadelphia in 1832, by Joseph Trowbridge Bailey (1806-1854) and Andrew B. Kitchen (died 1850). The partnership was dissolved in November 1846. It was reformed with new partners as Bailey & Co. in 1841, and on March 1, 1878, again re-established as Bailey Banks & Biddle. After 1870, they resold silver from a variety of manufacturers. At the turn of the century, Bailey Banks & Biddle was commissioned by the U.S. government to update the Great Seal of the United States; its design today remains the official version of the seal.
Please feel free to ask us any questions, and please see our other listings. We hand polish all items before shipping them out, but if there is interest for a professional polishing and/or engraving removal, we can take care of that for an additional charge and with delayed shipping.